We will be pleased to represent you in the administration of an estate by applying for grant of probate or letters of administration, collecting and distributing the assets
Our price is based on an hourly rate of £250 plus v.a.t. at 20% We do not charge a percentage of the value of the estate.
Estimate of costs where we handle the full process.
The average estate requires around 8 hours work at £250 per hour plus v.a.t. (presently 20%). Total estimated costs are £2,400 inclusive of v.a.t.
The above estimate is for estates where:
- There is a valid will
- There is no more than one property
- There are no more than 3 bank or building society accounts
- There are 1 – 3 beneficiaries
- There are no disputes between beneficiaries on division of assets. If disputes arise this is likely to lead to an increase in costs
- There is no inheritance tax payable and the executors do not need to submit a full account to HMRC
- There are no claims against the estate
Within the estimated cost we will:
- Provide you with a dedicated and experienced probate solicitor
- Identify the legally appointed executors or administrators and beneficiaries
- Accurately identify the type of Probate Registry application you will require
- Obtain the relevant documents required to make the application
- Complete the Probate application and the relevant HMRC forms
- Draft a Statement of Truth for signature by the Executor(s)
- Make the application to the Probate Court on your behalf
- Obtain Probate and provide a copy
- Collect all assets in the estate
- Provide estate accounts and distribute
On average, estates that fall within the above range are dealt with within 3 months. Typically, obtaining the grant of probate takes 4 – 6 weeks. Collecting assets then follows, which can take between 4 – 6 weeks. Once this has been done, we can account to you and distribute the assets, which normally takes 1 – 2 weeks
Estimate of costs where we obtain grant only
We can obtain grant only if you deal directly with the holders of assets, establish liabilities, collect in the assets and distribute.
The average estate where we obtain grant only, requires around 4 hours work at £250 per hour plus v.a.t (presently 20%). Total estimated costs are £1,200 inclusive of v.a.t)
Disbursements being costs related to your matter that are payable to third parties, such as court fees. We handle the payment of the disbursements on your behalf to ensure a smoother process.
- £155 (.50p per additional sealed copy) Probate Court application fee of
- £3 search fee against the name of each beneficiary to establish solvency
- £100 each (approx.) advertisement in The London Gazette and Local Newspaper, if required. Protects against unexpected claims from unknown creditors.
Potential additional costs for which an estimate can be provided
- if there is no will (intestate estate)
- potential beneficiaries need to be traced
- the estate consists of any share holdings (stocks and bonds)
- dealing with the sale or transfer of any land or buildings in the estate
- Income tax calculation and returns
- disputed estates
We are proud to have achieved the high standards of practice and integrity required for accreditation under the Law Society’s Wills and Inheritance Quality Scheme.
This Scheme’s logo below is your guarantee that our practice will provide high quality, probate and estate administration services.
What we will do for you
We will carry out our work for you in accordance with the good practice standards of the Law Society’s Wills and Inheritance Protocol. This means that we will:
- treat you with dignity and respect
- be polite and considerate
- use clear language and keep legal jargon to a minimum
- explain what the costs are likely to be and how we charge
- advise you on the issues and the options for dealing with them
- explain what you can expect from us
- carry out our work in a timely manner
- respond promptly to your enquiries, and
- keep you informed of our progress.
View the Law Society leaflet “Your Guide to Probate” below for guidance on Probate matters.